Monday, July 23, 2007

Yet another Windows WTF

I am now working on a brand-new machine, running Windows XP 64 bit, with 4GB of physical memory. Being a big fan of hibernation, I wanted to set my system to support it. Guess what - it's not supported!

A quick check on Google showed me this:

"

This issue occurs because hibernation is disabled on computers that have more than 4 GB of RAM.
Hibernation requires sufficient disk space to contain the contents of the computer's memory. Performance is poor on a computer that has more than 4 GB of memory and that has support for hibernation. Therefore, Microsoft has disabled support for hibernation on such computers.

"

The source, BTW, is from Microsoft's knowledge base.

Now you tell me - why do they decide for me what performance is unacceptably poor and what is not? If I have 10GB of ram, I know that hibernation will be slow, and if I choose to use it anyway - it's my decision to take, not MS's!

I haven't tried the workaround proposed yet, we'll see if it helps...

No comments: