Thursday, November 24, 2005

The Kite Runner

I’d like to talk a little bit about something else – a book…

A few days ago I’ve started to read The Kite Runner. I know, it’s a little cliché talking about this book, after all the publicity and success it had since it was first published. Nevertheless, I want to give my own point of view.

I haven’t read it through yet. Actually, I’ve read only about 20%, so most of the book is still ahead of me. Frankly, I wish I will never finish it, and keep reading it endlessly. It’s not suspense that drives me of course, it’s the way I feel during the few minutes I spend every day reading it. When I read, it’s as if I’m a child again. Not only does it make me think like a child, or see the world from a child’s eyes, it really makes me FEEL like I’m a child again. I actually dreamed being a child again last night! I think that that, above all, is the real magic of this book. It really transports you to another world you once knew, not only in imagination, but also in real feeling – body and soul.

Add to that great writing, the description of a very interesting culture you never knew, a very special friendship between two boys and a boy’s craving of attention from his father – and you’ve got an experience you really shouldn’t miss!

That’s it about this really incomparable piece of art. I may follow-up on this in a later post when I’m done reading it (hopefully in a few decades…).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is also my favorite book of the year. Dreamworks which is Steven Spielberg's Studio are making a movie out of KITE RUNNER and have approached Thomas Umer Tevana who was on this year's PEOPLE Magazine's Hottest People list to play Amir since he is originally of Afghan/Pakistani/Indian descent. Who do you think should play Hassan and Baba?

Ilan Assayag said...

Frankly, I'm not enough of a movies fan to be of much help here.
I'd say Brad Pitt wouldn't be a very good choice in terms of looks :-), although his pseudo-German accent in '7 years in Tibet' wasn't so bad. Same goes for Tom Hanks, who's proved to be very tallented in terms of accent (Terminal)...
I'm joking of course. I really don't know who'd be a good actor for these characters. Also, we must remember that both Hassan and Ali should have more of a Mongolian look, which makes it even more difficult to cast, I guess.
On one hand I'm looking forward to seeing this movie. But on the other hand I'm a little reluctant. Usually, the more you like the book, the less likely it is you'll like the movie. And since I really like this book, I'm apprehending dissapointment with the movie...