Thursday, January 19, 2006

Wireless router

That’s it, I’ve had it! I’ve been suffering from my Wireless Broadband Router for the past half year and enough is enough!
When I bought my laptop last summer, I also bought a wireless router to go with it, of course. Not knowing what router’s best, I let the guy who sold me the computer to choose the router. So I ended up with a router by Edimax (BR6114WG to be accurate).
At first, everything went smoothly. The installation was fairly easy and I was relatively happy. For the first time in my live I had the possibility to work from my back yard, so I was ready to close an eye on the disconnections I experienced once in a while.
Then, with time, I encountered several problems:

  1. The wireless network is really unreliable. Even from short distances, with little disturbance, the connection gets disconnected once in a while.
  2. If the router remains on for several days (typically around 3 days), it suddenly stops providing Internet connection.
  3. On two occasions the router simply dropped dead. The first one required a complete replacement (it took them 2 weeks to reach to this conclusion). On the second occasion, it suddenly came back to life after a few hours.
  4. Once in a while, the router becomes ‘almost dead’. I won’t get into details, but just day that to revive it I had to unplug/plug it to the electricity several times in a row.

In the end, I decided that I’ve been wasting way too much time on this stupid piece of plastic. I checked out the user reviews in Zap and decided to buy a new 3COM router with 3Yrs guarantee. It’s 20-30% more expensive, but if it will save me the administration time, it’s certainly worth it.

I received it today. The installation was slightly more lengthy than with the Edimax (although the documentation is much more professional). I’m happy to say that it’s now up and running. I’ve got a good feeling about this – let’s hope I’m not wrong!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've had mixed experience with Edimax and D-Link routers. Linksys and every other major player also tend to suffer from the usual problems - unstable firmware (particularly when you use relatively esoteric or powerful features, like UPNP or PSA-SPK), weak signal, disconnection issues, lacking features (the Edimax won't do static DHCP, for chrissake) etc.

I'm very unhappy with most all of these products.

Ilan Assayag said...

Well, until now I'm very happy. I have used my computer from downstairs (i.e. Wireless) several times for many hours in a row with only one single disconnection.
It's already much better than when I tried the same with the Edimax. If it remains this way I will be very happy :-)