Tuesday, November 13, 2007

VB Grrrrrr...

Yet another MSDN and .NET WTF:

I'm currently implementing some temporary code that was written in VB into our C# infrastructure (let's skip the details). Anyway, there are parts in the VB code that I would like to group because either they are currently not being used, or for some reason I want to hide it from view and get to it at some later phase.

Obviously, a #Region directive seems like the best solution.

My VB is quite rusted, but using common sense I tried using  the same syntax I'm used in C#. But alas - it didn't work. So I searched MSDN - hey, it should work! Well, VB have this little difference that the identifier_string MUST exist and it must be surrounded by quotation marks. OK, no biggy, I usually put it there anyway.

But why doesn't it work?

Well, there is this tiny little limitation, hidden from you if you rely solely on MSDN, that "'#Region' and '#End Region' statements are not valid within method bodies."

Which raises two questions:

1. Why, in Heaven's name, should there be such a difference between C# and VB. It's just a freaking compilation directive!

2. Assuming there is some justified reason for that (which I doubt - I guess it's just a non-implemented feature) - would it hurt someone to put this info in MSDN so I won't have to get crazy trying to figure out why it doesn't work?!?!

And now to a personal to-remember note:

I relied solely on Intellisense and Resharper to know the code is wrong. I'm using the C# only version of Resharper, so I have no idea whether Resharper would have been more helpful. Anyway - had I compiled from the beginning (or at least looked at the message Intellisense gave me) - I would have seen much sooner why it doesn't work...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

:D
I got this problem too.
But, you gotta love VB.