Friday, December 30, 2005

Network resource KILLERS

I’m not a Web programmer, so I can’t say how you should write web sites. I do, however, have enough experience in software development and networking in order to know some of the thing you should not do.
I had to play quite a lot with the Windows Event Viewer lately. While working, I noticed an ever recurring warning that goes like so:
“TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.”
Since it even happened very shortly after having rebooted my system, I decided to track down the source of it. Here are results of playing with the netstat utility:

1. No particular application open. Netstat returns 3 TCP connection owned by the following processes: MsnMsngr.exe, Skype.exe and gnotify.exe. Makes sense, doesn’t it

2. I opened one instance of Internet Explorer and entered YNET. Now, in addition to the above-mentioned 3 connections I had 61 other connections, all owned by IEXPLORE.EXE

That’s definitely a huge WTF ?!?!?! You open one single web site and you’re swamped with so many connections that in the end the OS has to start imposing limitations because it believes you may be running a virus/worm or some other threatening application.
Needless to say that when I checked with FireFox the behavior was more or less the same (didn’t count exactly the number of connections but it’s close enough).
Also, most other sites I checked, although they do use quite a lot of connections, it’s still not that much.

No comments: